POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : 3D Mesh Painting Software : Re: 3D Mesh Painting Software Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:03:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Mesh Painting Software
From: Kyle
Date: 31 Aug 2006 18:38:46
Message: <52nef2lk22tot0051p6uc023u8fdpknk0c@4ax.com>
Steve:

Thanks for the reply.

I've got the materials figured out pretty well in Wings.  I guess I should have been
more clear in
my original post on what I am currently doing and what I am looking for.

I am currently using the AutoUV feature in Wings to create a UV texture map, which I
then "make
external" from the outliner window.  I then use a copy of the image as an overlay
layer in Gimp to
paint the texture that I want.  I can then refresh the image map in Wings to see my
progress.  I can
then use Gimp to create a bump map using the overlay that I created before, but I
don't know of any
way to quickly review the effect of the bump map until the finial render in POV-Ray.

After that, I export the object from Wings as a Wavefront (obj) file and open it up in
PoseRay.  I
load the material map and bump map into PoseRay, then export to a POV-Ray scene.  I
can then use the
objects that are exported in the POV-Ray scene to create a final scene.

What I'd like is a tool to 3-D paint the texture and bump maps.  It's really time
consuming to go
back and forth between editing in Gimp, then refreshing in Wings or PoseRay to see the
result, then
going back to Gimp to edit.  Wash, rinse, repeat...

Tattoo is such a tool, but it is very raw and I cannot seem to figure out how to
pre-load textures
that have already been created.

Hopefully, this is a better explanation of what I'm doing and what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Kyle